- Arrival in Medan airport and transfer to SOS/OIC Replanting Centre at Halaban.
Here over 500 hectares of reclaimed forest is being replanted. Palm Oil trees have been uprooted and the land is re-vegetated with endemic plants as well as plants that are important to the survival of the Orangutan. You will be shown around the grounds, replanting sites and the progress that is being made. You will also have the opportunity to do some planting yourself.
- Overnight in a small cottage on the grounds.
- Today we will continue our work at the Replanting Site.
- Overnight in the cottage on site.
- Drive to Tangkahan, famous for its elephant safaris and its wonderful jungle scenery. You will take a small punt across the river and check into your accommodation.
- Before dinner, we will go for a river walk and then tube downstream to a beautiful waterfall.
- Head off to a nearby Elephant Rangers Station. There, elephants are used to help Rangers monitor the nearby jungle. After helping the Rangers bathe the elephants we will take a walk with them atop one of these beautiful creatures.
- Then, drive to Bukit Lawang. Upon arrival, we will check into our accommodation and then head off to the feeding station for a close up view of some local Orangutans.
- Dinner in local restaurant.
- Start our second day trek into the Gunung Leuser National Park. We will head into the hills on the other side of the Bohorok River. We will have the opportunity to see the local fauna: Orangutans, Thomas Leaf Monkeys, Pigtail Macaques, Longtail Macaques, Gibbons, Lizards, Turtles, Hornbills...
- Our camp site will be close to a stream on the Bohorok River. Overnight in tents
- Today we will awake to the sounds of the jungle. We will continue our jungle trek and head back towards Bukit Lawang.
- Once in Bukit Lawang we will check into our guesthouse and then have free time to wander around town and maybe have a swim in the Bohorok River.
- Take in a Whitewater Raft on the Wampu River. The river snakes its way through pristine rainforests and deep canyons.
- We will make a stop off at a natural hot spring that spills into the Wampu. The grade for the river is maximum 3 which is perfect for people who have not done any rafting before.
- We will drive to Medan to check into our guesthouse and from there we will take in a tour of the town, learning about its fascinating history and people.
- Transfer to the airport for your flight back home.
The program will vary depending on departure time.